Guided reading questions for chapter one
1. What is the Knight News Challenge? What example does the author give of a successful project funded by the Knight News Challenge?
2. According to the author what are the major phases of communication throughout history?
3. What innovation started the age of mass media?
4. What is the name given to the first generation of American media consumers? What form of media was popular for that generation?
5. What three eras followed the first generation of American news consumers? What media defined each era?
6. What does the author mean when he refers to World War 3.0?
7. What names does the author give the four generations that will follow the Digital Age? What will be the relevant media in each era?
8. According to the author, why is news literacy important to college students?
9. According to the author, what is the disadvantage of having news that is more "portable" and "personal" than ever before?
10. What solutions to the current state of journalism are offered by the four reports highlighted by the author?